E2 207 : Information and Coding Theory 2
P. Vijay Kumar and Rajesh Sundaresan
10:00 AM - 11:30 AM on Tuesdays and Thursdays
- Information theory: universal source coding, channel coding with side information (transmitter/receiver, receiver, transmitter), basics of network information theory, channel coding error exponents, Kolmogorov complexity (didn't cover due to time constraints).
- Coding theory: Topics to be drawn from network coding, belief propagation with application to LDPC code decoding, exponential sums and low-correlation sequences, lattices and coset codes, list decoding of RS codes, algebraic-geometric codes, secure communication and cryptography, codes on rings.
- Mid-term 50/100 (3 hours)
- Final 50/100 (3 hours)
- T.M.Cover and J.A.Thomas, Elements of information theory, 2nd edition, John Wiley & Sons, 2006.
- R.G.Gallager, Information theory and reliable communication, John Wiley & Sons, New York, 1968.
- W.C.Huffman and Vera Pless, Fundamentals of error-correcting codes, Cambridge University Press, 2004 (Asian edition).
- R.Roth, Introduction to coding theory, Cambridge University Press, 2006.
- R.W.Yeung, S-Y.R.Li, N.Cai, Z.Zhang, Network coding theory, Now Publishers, 2005.